A spokesman for the Department of Health (DH) said today (June 12) that the current practice of tracing of flight passengers in connection with confirmed cases of human swine influenza (Influenza A H1N1) had been adjusted having regard to the latest developments of the disease in the community.
The spokesman said starting today, instead of tracing flight passengers sitting three rows in front and three rows behind of a passenger confirmed to have infected with human swine influenza, public health officers of the Centre for Health Protection would only contact passengers in the two rows in front and two rows behind of the patient to observe their health condition.
"Since human swine influenza has taken root in the community by this time and our Fight the Pandemic Campaign is now transiting from the containment to mitigation phase in gradual steps, the refinement of the contact tracing guidance can allow the health authority to be more focus in the control of the disease in the community.
"The new practice is also tally with the contact tracing arrangements being adopted by some overseas health authorities," the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, the Port Health Office has put up posters at the Airport and all other boundary control points to remind travelers to put on face masks and seek medical attention if they feel unwell in their journeys.
Ends/Friday, June 12, 2009