How to cut down on fat/oil intake
- Use low-fat food ingredients wherever possible, e.g. Meat with less fat content, poultry without skin
- Trim away visible fat and skin before cooking
- Use healthy vegetable oils for cooking; e.g. Canola oil, peanut oil, corn oil, etc.
- Use non-stick pans/woks to reduce the amount of oil needed for cooking, or use a special device to filter oil away from soups or other liquids.
- Use low-fat cooking methods more often, e.g. Steaming, braising, stewing, blanching, stir-frying in less oil, blanching in soup, baking, etc.
How to choose seasonings:
- Use minimum seasonings
- Use natural herbs and spices, e.g. Ginger, scallion, garlic, pepper powder, herbs, etc. To reduce the need for salt and other seasonings that contain sodium, e.g. Soy sauce, chicken powder, MSG, etc.
- Use less sugar-containing seasonings, e.g. Dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, ketchup, etc.
How to increase dietary fibre intake
- Make vegetables, not meat, the main ingredient of your dishes
- Include beans or mushrooms, e.g. Red kidney beans, string beans, jelly ear ("cloud-ear"), shittake mushrooms, etc. and even fruit in your dishes wherever possible
- Mix white rice with red rice and brown rice